- Eat the right amount of calories for how active you are, so that you balance the energy you consume with the energy you use. If you eat or drink too much, you'll put on weight. If you eat and drink too little, you'll lose weight.
- Eat a wide range of foods to ensure that you're getting a balanced diet and that your body is receiving all the nutrients it needs.
Base your meals on starchy carbohydrates
Eat lots of fruit and veg
Eat more fish – including a portion of oily fish
- fresh tuna
- canned tuna
Cut down on saturated fat and sugar
- hard cheese
- sugary fizzy drinks
- alcoholic drinks
- sugary breakfast cereals
Eat less salt – no more than 6g a day for adults
Get active and be a healthy weight
Don't get thirsty
Don't skip breakfast
- To help you get the right balance of the five main food groups, take a look at the Eatwell Guide. To maintain a healthy diet, the Eatwell Guide shows you how much of what you eat should come from each food group. It's important to have only small amounts of foods high in fat and/or sugar.
- Learn how to have a balanced diet, and read about the energy contained in food in our page on understanding calories.
- Download Losing weight: Getting started, a 12-week weight loss guide that combines advice on healthier eating and physical activity".